that the new Hospital would put London once again in the forefront as a teaching
and research centre in tropical medicine.
A contributor wrote:
The (new) Hospital should be planned
on broad lines and should have enough beds to provide ample material in clinical
instruction in Tropical Medicine, bearing in mind likely future developments in
this rapidly expanding field of medicine.
The Lancet 1949
The newly refurbished St Pancras hospital was home to HTD from 1951 until 1998,
its longest stay at any site in its long history, when the hospital once again moved
in to new purpose built premises within UCLH. The new Hospital for Tropical Diseases was opened on the 29th June 1999, by Her
Royal Highness, The Princess Royal, thus maintaining the Hospital's long tradition
of Royal Patronage.
In July 2004 the hospital moved once more, this time to its current home in the tower of the new UCLH on Euston Road.
The speciality of Tropical Medicine remains in the twenty first century an expanding field of medicine as it did in 1821 when the first Hospital for Tropical Diseases was established on board HMS Grampus.
The Hospital for Tropical Diseases remains the only dedicated hospital of its kind within the NHS, providing specialist clinical treatment and diagnostic services to those with tropical and travel related diseases.